How to get CDL license in Texas?
Do you live in Texas and need to drive a commercial vehicle for large, heavy or hazardous materials? If it is so, you need a commercial driver's license (CDL). In this article we will explain, step by step, how to get cdl license in texasthe requirements you must meet and the rates you have to pay You will also find links to cdl texas license manual.
How much does a ticket cost for not having a license in Texas?
- Texas CDL license
- Who needs a CDL driver's license in Texas?
- Texas CDL license types
- Texas CDL license requirements
- Commercial Driver's License (CLP)
- How to get CDL license in Texas?
- New federal requirements to apply for a CDL license in Texas
- How much does a CDL license cost in Texas?
- Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver's Manual
Texas CDL license
The Texas CDL license is required to drive commercial motor vehicles. This license is required for any driver using commercial driving equipment or other heavy machinery. There are different classes of CDL, depending on the type of vehicle the applicant has to drive.
Who needs a CDL driver's license in Texas?
A CDL license will be required in Texas for anyone who needs to drive the following vehicles:
- A single vehicle with a GVWR of over 26,000 lbs.
- A combined vehicle with a GVWR of over 26,000 pounds, pulling a unit of over 10,000 pounds GVWR.
- A passenger vehicle designed to carry 16 or more people, including the driver.
- Vehicles of any size requiring Hazmat (Hazmat) signs or carrying a selected agent or toxin listed in 42 CFR Part 73.
CDL license for undocumented
Texas CDL license types
There are three classes of CDL driver's license in Texas. Therefore, before making your request, you need to know which of the three you need.
Texas Class A CDL license
Required to use any combination of vehicles with a Gross Gross Weight (GCWR) rating greater than 26,000 lbs. The gross vehicle weight (GVWR) rating of the towed vehicle is greater than 10,000 lbs.
Texas Class B CDL license
Allows driving of single or combined vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle exceeds 26,000 lbs. The towed vehicle must weigh no more than 10,000 pounds.
Texas Class C CDL license
Driving is required of any single vehicle or combination of vehicles designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or used in the carriage of materials considered to be hazardous.
Appointment to renew your driver's license in Texas
Texas CDL license requirements
What is required to obtain a CDL license in Texas? To obtain a commercial driver's license you need to have a valid Texas driver's license. If you already own it, we recommend that you read the Texas Commercial Vehicle Driver's Manual, there you will find important information that will help you complete the entire Texas CDL application process. In the last section of this article you will find links to the Texas cdl manual in Spanish and also to its English version.
To get the CDL in Texas you need to have a clean driving record. If your license has been suspended or revoked in any state, you will not be able to obtain a commercial license. You must be a US citizen or a legal resident of Texas. They will ask you for proof of residence and a health certificate.
How to get a driving license in Texas?
CDL age requirements
You must be at least 21 years of age to drive from one state to another or to transport hazardous materials. If you intend to drive only within the state, i.e. within the borders of Texas, you can apply for a business license starting at the age of 18.
Physical requirements for a Texas CDL license
You will be required to provide a medical certification form if you are a non-exempt interstate or intrastate commercial driver. Below you will find the physical requirements you need to meet.
- The vision in both eyes, as well as in each eye individually, must be 20/40 and visual enhancement devices such as glasses or contact lenses are allowed.
- You have to distinguish the colors.
- You must hear a forced whisper from a distance of at least 5 feet.
- The maximum allowable blood pressure is 160/100. The use of prescription drugs can reach the allowable limit.
- You can get diabetes if you control it with diet or medications. Diabetes that is controlled by insulin injections is not allowed.
- The blood sugar level cannot be higher than 200.
- The use of Schedule 1 drugs, amphetamines, narcotics or any addictive drugs is not permitted.
- If you are currently diagnosed with cardiovascular disease, such as congestive heart failure, collapse, or heart failure, you must provide a stress test and a note from your doctor stating that you are able to drive an unrestricted commercial motor vehicle.
Texas driver's license address change
Commercial Driver's License (CLP)
If you are eligible for a CDL in Texas, the first thing you will need to do is obtain a Commercial Driver's License Permit (CLP) which you must hold for at least 14 days before submitting your CDL application.
In which cases should CLP be obtained? If you are applying for a CDL for the first time, upgrading your commercial license (Class C to Class B or Class A) (Class B to Class A) or requesting passenger or school bus approval for the your CDL, you must obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CLP) before continuing your business.
What you should keep in mind about CLP
- You must have a valid Texas driver's license to apply
- You cannot use it as an identity document
- The CLP authorizes you to drive on public roads accompanied by a driver aged 21 or over who holds a CDL license of the class corresponding to the vehicle you are driving.
- It is valid for 180 days or until the expiration date of your Texas driver's license, whichever comes first.
- It can be renewed only once, up to 30 days before the deadline, without the need to repeat the knowledge tests.
- You must take the CLP for at least 14 days before taking the skills exams.
Requirements for obtaining a Commercial Driver's License (CLP) in Texas
- Texas driver's license
- US citizenship or proof of legal residence in the US
- Proof of residence in Texas
- Identification document
- Social Security number
- Self-certification of the state of health (the shapes: CDL-4 , CDL-5 or CDL-10)
- Certificate of medical examiner (depending on the type of medical status self-certification you have selected)
- Proof of registration in Texas for each of your vehicles. If you don't have a vehicle, you need to sign a statement explaining it. (This requirement only applies to new residents presenting a driver's license from another state)
- Proof of auto insurance for each of your vehicles.
How to get CLP in Texas?
To apply for a commercial or CLP student permit you must do the following:
- Request an appointment at the nearest driving license office
- Complete the CDL application form
- Please provide the following documentation when attending your appointment: CDL application for CLP issuance, US citizenship or proof of legal presence, proof of Texas residency, ID, Social Security number.
- Pay the corresponding fee
- Allows the acquisition of your fingerprints.
- Take a picture
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the knowledge tests necessary to obtain the driving license you are applying for, also taking into account any specializations you will add.
- Schedule your skill test at one of the available positions.
Which states grant licenses to undocumented immigrants?
How to get CDL license in Texas?
If you have had your CLP for 14 days or more, you need to follow the steps below to get your CDL license in Texas.
- Complete it application for a commercial driving license
- Present the documents to verify your identity (See the approved documents from Texas DPS).
- Submit documents to verify Texas residency.
- Present your Social Security number (those without one cannot be issued a CDL).
- Pay the corresponding fee.
- Allows the acquisition of your fingerprints.
- Take a picture.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the driving test: vehicle inspection test, basic vehicle inspection test, road driving test.
Driving license without social security
New federal requirements to apply for a CDL license in Texas
Starting February 7, 2022, entry-level training requirements have been added for drivers requiring commercial driving licenses (CDLs). These training courses are overseen by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and registration or application can be made on its website. You must meet these requirements before taking a CDL skill test or before taking the knowledge test for an "H" approval.
What types of licenses do the new requirements apply to?
First time applicants for a Class A or Class B CDL license must meet the new federal requirements. Additionally, those who upgrade an existing CDL to a class A or B, gain approval for school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) for the first time.
IMPORTANT: ELDT requirements are not retroactive - they do not apply to drivers who already have a valid CDL or S, P or H approval issued before February 7, 2022.
What to do if you have lost your Texas driver's license?
How much does a CDL license cost in Texas?
Before starting the process, it is important to know the fees for obtaining a CDL license in Texas. Next, you will find the amount you have to pay depending on the process you go through.
Price of the CDL license in Texas
- Standard CDL ages 18 to 84 (new or renewal): $ 97 (valid for 8 years)
- Standard CDL for 85+ (new or renewal): $ 26 (expires after 2 years (on carrier's birthday)
- Replacement CDL or CLP: $ 11
- Commercial Student Permit - CLP (New or Renewal): $ 25
- Non-domiciled CDL (new or renewed): $ 121 (expires upon expiration of legal presence period, as determined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
- Temporary CDL for homeless (non-renewable): $ 21 (expires in 60 days or when legal presence period expires, whichever comes first)
- Motorbike with CDL - $ 15 added to the CDL rate (to be paid when the CDL expires)
- CDL renewed motorcycle - $ 8 added to CDL rate (payable upon CDL expiration)
- Add bike to existing CDL: $ 16 (expires when CDL expires)
Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver's Manual
To obtain the Texas Commercial License Manual, follow the links below
CDL Manual in Spanish Texas
CDL manual in English Texas
If you want to discover other articles similar to How to get CDL license in Texas?, you can visit the Last News category.
DISCLAIMER: By reading this, you agree to the following: you understand that this is an expression of opinions and not professional advice. You are solely responsible for the use of any content and hold harmless ©INFOCARSUSA.COM and all members and affiliates from any event or claim. The information provided on the site may contain errors, both grammatical and contextual and/or information, and we recommend that you conduct your own research through the means you deem appropriate to satisfy your search intention. If you purchase something through a link, you should assume that we have an affiliate relationship with the company providing the product or services you purchase, and we will be compensated in some way. We recommend that you conduct your own independent research before purchasing anything.